Make Me Messiah2 min read
Have you ever felt so useless because you could not help everyone you thought you had to help?
Every now and again we come across people who seem to need more than we can give. They ask for our time, money, space, and attention in ways we have to stretch ourselves so much than humanly required. But yet we really want to do it. I believe most of us carry within us a Messiah complex. We want to save the world. While this in itself is not a vice, it can become a vice if we try to substitute ourselves into the finished work of Christ.
As long as humanity exists, there will always be needs, needs that sometimes go beyond what one person can meet. That’s why God exists and that’s why He created billions of people. And that’s why we exist as a community – what can’t be completed by one person can be completed by the next person.
In our service to humanity, let’s try to remember:
- Our job is to serve the world not save the world
- Only one person could carry the weight of the world on His shoulders – Jesus already did that.
- Heaven measures you firstly by what you are meant to do and not everything around you that needs to be done
- Whatever you are called to do will be a joy and not a chore
- It’s ok to feel for the need of others but sometimes that’s all you are meant to do.
- Only Jesus can serve everyone and sometimes he lets people do some of the job. We have to remember to try that option occasionally.
Do you think there are some needs that you don’t have to meet? What do you do to make sure someone else meets those needs? Do try to leave your thoughts below